9.18.2005



THE PRINCIPLE OF OPPOSITES

It was a long and excessive, yet fun weekend for me here in Chicago, so I have been inspired to think about balance and the rejection of imbalance.

The ancient Chinese developed a YIN and YANG theory of life. It is a principle of opposites that explains the balance of life. The theory holds that YIN represents everything about the world that is: dark, hidden, passive, receptive, yielding, cool, soft, and feminine. Its opposite, YANG, represents everything about the world that is: illuminated, evident, active, aggressive, controlling, hot, hard, and masculine. Their theory is that everything in the world can be identified as either YIN or YANG.

For instance, their belief is that the earth itself would fall under YIN (not too hard to believe that the life-giving earth is feminine, is it?). And on the other hand, the heavens would fall under YANG (think these designations are part of the male/female power dynamic?). That being said, it’s fairly obvious to see that MAN and WOMAN are the ultimate YANG and YIN.

How does this pertain to men and women’s misunderstandings of each other?

Well… I think modern American society has done us the great disservice of selling us a confusing misnomer: To be equal in our humanity we must be the same in all things. To me, this is both sad and unfortunate because it takes the balance from life.

The truth is: We are not all the same. Men are different from Women. Just as a people’s culture makes them think and consequently behave differently (Take notice that I omitted the phrase RACE. Sometimes I wonder if that phrase is so misused and misunderstood that the word itself conjures racism). That makes people different. But where are we the same? When does equal mean absolutely equivalent?

WE ARE EQUAL IN OUR HUMANITY. But do we have trouble seeing the human in someone else, whether out of admiration, ignorance or disdain?

I have a friend who will often say she is disgusted by, “people who cannot see the human in others.” I’ve found this to be extremely true. There are plenty of ways to tune your eyes to humanity. My question is this: When we tune our eyes to see those parts of humanity which are most easily identifiable or alluring to us, do we blind ourselves to other aspects of humanity? If that’s the case, we’ve taken balance out of our vision of others or our potential mate/friend.

The moment you see the ethnic heritage reflected in the face of someone different, are thoughts immediately formed? Now, those thoughts may be negative or they may be positive, that’s not the question I’m asking. So alternatively, I propose two questions:

1) Do you like/dislike someone different from you because you think you can identify with them?

2) Is there really a difference between having a favorable opinion of someone based on their ancestry verses an unfavorable opinion based on the same characteristic?

The moment you see a member of the opposite sex, are thoughts immediately formed? For instance, if you’ve been hurt by a woman (or a man), do you ascribe those personality traits to WOMEN or MEN as a group?

Believe me, I’m well-aware of the difficulty in finding balance in viewing others. And please… I’m well-aware of “the way things are.” In life, we can only work to convince the world to change its ways. BUT we can DEFINATELY change our own mentality, which changes the world for ourselves, and maybe for some of the people around us.

I think we waste too much time trying to be the same. We make the unfortunate mistake of believing that we can be “just as good” if we make ourselves the same. As a society and as individuals, we try to find cultural or sexual equivalence because we can’t accept the humanity in someone who isn’t the same. In our relationships, some of us spend our time trying to “out-do” our mates in some aspect so we can THINK that we are equivalent (i.e. financially, emotionally, spiritually, aesthetically, philosophically, physically…ah…there’s too many to mention).

There is a balance to life. Too much femininity is not good. Too much masculinity is not good. Personally, I work everyday to be a more complete individual, and most important, a more balanced man. Romantically, I’ll have to find a woman who can complement the best in me. But to have that balance, she’ll have to be as complete or incomplete as I am at that point in our lives. Looks like that will take a whole lot of work.

There are no guarantees on our path in this life. HOWEVER, the more roadblocks we remove, the easier it is to get where we’re going. Have you found the balance between the respective YIN’s and YANG’s in the substance and details of your life? I’m still figuring mine out. But I’m learning.

I do my best to distinguish things that are relevant from things that are not. Different does not mean inferior. Different does not mean irrelevant. Sometimes, those things that are different are needed in order to bring balance to life, love and relationships. The balance in life is to accept that difference exists and appreciate that fundamentally different things will never be the same. We can resolve this potential conflict by accepting the fact that some things were never supposed to be the same, and thank GOD for that.


Peace and Love,

nosthegametoo

8 comments:

Chele said...

In just about any spiritual/ religious doctrine/dogma I can think of, we identify with the earth and sky by BEING the earth and sky.

If everything has an opposite, what is the opposite of mankind?

Theresa said...

Great post. You've covered a really broad topic very well.

It seems that we seek a "match" who creates a balance with us (opposites attract). At the same time, we find comfort in people and things that are familiar (birds of a feather flock together). We tend to trust people who are like ourselves. Social research suggests that both are true depending on the variables.

Danielle said...

I am glad someone explained this to me!!! we miss you gurl nd we need a motto for the unit!

nosthegametoo said...

@ Chele:

Thanks for stopping by, I’m glad you checked out the blog.

So… what is the opposite of mankind? Well… I’ve always been under the impression that Man and Mankind are both generic and synonymous terms for the human race, which includes both sexes. So perhaps the opposite of human would be “not-human.” However, I think the term Mankind or Man is overly broad anyway, and it’s not specific. In a broad and generalized sense, in our spiritual, political, or environmental world, Man/Mankind/Human/Humankind is the center of the universe. So I would say that the opposite of human would be those things which are not human.

@ Theresa:

I would agree that opposites MAY be able to attract, or even that birds of a feather flock together. I think most of us make our mistake in misunderstanding our own “variables.” There are plenty of pillars in life which should not be a variable, such as respect (i.e. He/She is “perfect” accept he/she kind of acts really different in public. This is a sign of bad things to come.).

@ Danielle:

Your D-Unit is an especially talented and effective clan comprised of some extremely amazing individuals. Make sure your motto reflects the heart and soul of your good and important work. But I wonder… if the D-Unit is watching the streets and “the people,” who is watching the D-Unit?

Peace and Love

o.flory said...

I totally agree with the Chinese Yin and Yang theory,and as a modern scientific proof-for instance,in electricity there is a positive charge and a negative charge.In mathematics as a form of abstraction there is plus infinity and minus infinity.
But i always wonder how can we know that we are there,at that point of balance in our life?We are trying to achieve balance,trying being the "key" word.But how can be balance defined for the modern life of ours?
As for me balance in life is just a goal.Maybe when we really achieve that balance we find ourselves in a point of stillness.And in that point there can be no growth,no movement.It's like the Chinese symbol of Yin and Yang,a complete circle,when all is balanced permanentely.The supreme form of balance.Perfection.Nothing more to achive.
A single image comes to my mind when i think of balance(no matter in what part of life:romantic,feelings,human relations and interraction):an acrobat walking on high wires with no safety net under.That is balance.That is life.
So try to keep the balance in your life,all of you...there is no safety net...so try not to get hurt!

BigBill said...

Hello I am taken aback by the complication of this long sought after answer or theory of opposites attracting and the being totally complete after finding that significant other..
Now a days finding the other one is equally as hard with the different hangups and multiple addictions out there. Drugs or alcohol play a big part in who one is or isn't. People meet in bars where people drink. I was told the other day by my wife that she almost doesn't know anyone who has not been having issues in their relationship with their husband drinking.. I agreed.. I gave up drinking 4 years ago this December and I realize now that if you get in a relationship with a drinker you really don't know who your getting involved with. Try and add this tid bit to your theory and it will send it off realing in a totally different direction.
Good topic though and well put.
Thanks for listening..

nosthegametoo said...

@ amber7dragonfly:

Do I think balance is perfection? No, I do not. Life, and humans especially, are imperfect in detail, and often in substance. I think when we reach an appropriate balance in our lives, we have a greater harmony within ourselves and with the world around us; that harmony keeps us from wasting unnecessary energy compensating for other shortcomings. Ultimately, I don’t think balance bring stillness. I think that balance brings harmony. Not unlike the harmony between the man on the tightrope and gravity.

@ BigBill:

Hey BigBill, as you know, Chicago can be a swingin and drinkin town. That being said, I think that addiction is one of the saddest imbalances in life. Alcohol is not evil; but the moment you are no longer sipping to remember and you’re drinking to forget, you’ve thrown your body/mind into imbalance. Excessive use of substances, even food, is our attempt to leave, rather than embrace reality. There is no chance of balance in life, if you’re not even in the game.

If drinking became a source of imbalance in your life, thank goodness that you gave it up. Congratulations on the almost 4 years and running.

As far as the excessively drinking mates… well… all I can say is this: I wouldn’t FOOL with a woman who had addiction issues. The reason is simple: her addition would bring a sad and hurtful imbalance to MY life. You can’t fool with that kind of thing. When I first meet someone, long before I have any feelings for them, I’m conscious of what kind of “party-person” they are. Life is valuable, so the “party” can’t always be excessive. Also, I don’t my mate or myself to be old and hurting like Mickey Mantle, who once said: “If I knew I was gonna live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.”

But it seems like you’ve found a greater deal of balance in your life. Glad to hear it.

o.flory said...

What do you mean by "balance"?From your point of view,how can you define "balance"?As for me i am still trying to find the proper way to define it..What may tell that we have achieved somehow a point of balance in our lives?"Balance" is not something that can be measured or quantified..is more like a subjective state rather then objective..and I am not talking about the "equilibrium" term in Phisics. Well,maybe there can be more kinds of "balance"..it depends on what we relate it to..anyway,a very interesting topic indeed..