8.14.2005

PEOPLE ARE INTERESTING
One of the most interesting places to interact with someone is in a chat-room. For some people it’s their only opportunity to act out and pretend to be the person they dream of being. Even a passive participant of the chat-room world can openly see this for themselves. For me, what makes chat-rooms so interesting is the full range of “Looney Toons” you can run across. I must admit I do sometimes find it irresistible to indulge my urge to create an alter-ego, but for the most part, I allow others to do that.

How does this pertain to men and women’s misunderstandings of each other?

Well…sad enough, the vast majority of women I talk to in chat-rooms are lonely. In fact, internet dating as a whole seems to be a lonely endeavor. Some women are looking to mend a broken heart, others to get back at a lover and still others who may just have an active fantasy life and want to immerse themselves in a world of escapism. Again and again women seem to have the same problems with men. Many of the problems I have passively observed stem from a misunderstanding of what women are willing to accept. Too often people in general are chasing images, rather than accepting or rejecting people. For instance, any woman who chases “bad boys” is chasing an image of man, not looking for a man. And we all know that images are easily misinterpreted. This can make someone enter a situation with one eye closed.

Sometimes I find myself having long conversations with women about their lives and feelings and ask myself where I have made mistakes in the past, or maybe where I should have realized something was coming to an end. Although there’s no way to verify that any of these are actual people or actual circumstances, I don’t think that it’s particularly important. Some of the conversations I’ve had with women left me confused which is the beginning of living a life of misunderstanding. And also something I’m trying to eliminate.

What follows is an instant message conversation from a woman I chatted with for a couple of minutes. After reading, you’ll see why:

Me: Hello
Me: How are you doing tonight?
Woman: Hello, ok and you?
Me: I can't complain about a thing
Woman: Must be nice
Me: well...we can all complain...don't make a difference though
Me: u know?
Woman: So I know
Me: what do you do during the day?
Woman: Not a damn thing
Me: married...kids?
Woman: Fuck no
Me: lol
Woman: You?
Me: naw....never married...no kids
Woman: But I bet you are an asshole
Me: what gives you that impression of me?
Woman: Because all people with cocks are assholes


It is important to note that only the user names were changed. Such bitterness. Now there’s no way of telling what actually made her bitter, and I’m not going to speculate as to the underlying cause. But it seems to me to be an important lesson. If we’re not careful about what we need and are willing to accept from a mate, friend or possible lover, it’s possible to end up extremely bitter.

Professionally and personally I wish happiness on others and for myself. And for me, a stable and happy relationship is a goal. I’m still working on understanding people, and letting people see me in a more predictable and understandable way. I’m sure that someday I’ll figure out what works for me.

Peace and Love,

nosthegametoo

2 comments:

Theresa said...

That's one of the saddest things I've read in a long time. Someone with that much hostility toward half the population must be in a great deal of pain.

nosthegametoo said...

You're right about that...it was pretty sad. That's why I decieded to leave off the end of the conversation.