1.31.2007

Moody Blue

OUR 100th POST!!

Note: Hello everyone. I’m happy to say that here at our little blog about relationships and interacting with others, we have finally reached our 100th posting. Thank you so very much for all of your support, emails and comments, even when we’re not around as much as we would like. I have learned so much from all of you, so thank you for taking the time to share your wisdom with us and each other.


ARE YOU IN THE FULL MOOD?

Recently, I happened to be driving and listening to the radio. The man in the radio was talking about relationships and he broke people in relationships down into two types:

The Moody – or more plainly put, people whose emotions rapidly run hot or cold.

The Non-Moody – People whose emotions do not often fluctuate far and quick.

His main point was that he never really saw two people get together as mates who were “Moody”. He said that he more often than not saw one partner that was Moody, and another who was not. Although, he did quality his thinking by saying he occasionally saw a couple with two partners who were not Moody.

I partially agree with the guy’s point of view, but I would quality it by saying this: it’s not that two Moody people don’t get together all the time, I see it constantly, they just don’t seem to stay together because neither one of them can put up with the other person’s shit.

How does this pertain to men and women’s misunderstandings of each other?

Well… It seems to me that we all have moods. I think that is pretty much a given. They go up and down, here and there. We have to be compassionate in our dealings with our mates and mindful of their feelings, all the while being careful to also be compassionate enough to share painful truths. And all at the same time we have our own moods and feelings to deal with. I suppose that’s why a functioning relationship doesn’t “just happen”.

In my experience, there are different levels of moodiness. Obviously, the worst is the kind that leads someone to fly off the handle irrationally and act crazy. There’s no excuse for that, and I would suggest to anyone that you don’t even attempt to deal with someone like that.

But truth be told, it’s the subtle mood swings/shifts that can make a relationship hard to deal with. Over time, we can let the small things that irritate us about our partner manifest into a gigantic monster. To draw a human parallel, it’s probably close to drinking diluted Drain-O for an extended period of time… you can’t keep that kind of mess up for long, even if it doesn’t poison you immediately.

I wish I had a cure for Moodiness, but I don’t. Although, the best remedy seems to be listening. Tender issues and feelings require tender touches and attention. If your partner is unreasonable or unwilling to listen there are some problems. Those problems may be:

1. You can’t communicate the issues, so you dance around it.
2. You play the ever-favorite teenage “figure it out” game.
3. You use words to express emotion, rather than convey ideas.
4. You’re more interested in spouting off a point, rather than presenting an issue.
5. … or maybe, just maybe… you’re dealing with an ass (that’s possible too).


Either way, this is a difficult issue to tackle. I’m going to think about this one some more. I have a lot of say about how mood swings affect a relationship.

My question is this: Do you think Moody people avoid other Moody people? And if so, why do you think that is?

Peace & Love from us Both

nosthegametoo & No_the_game

9 comments:

Theresa said...

You're right about this being just the beginning of a much larger discussion. However, this is a great start.

As far as relationship compatiblity goes, I tend toward the idea that "birds of a feather flock together". The more we have in common in terms of background, interests and values, the more likely we are to get along and stay together. However, on another level, complimentary traits are beneficial. I can see where a moody person would benefit from the stability of someone who is steady and sure. Likewise, an emotionally calm person might be attracted to the energy and passion of a moody partner.

Miz JJ said...

Congrats on hitting 100 posts.

I think that people get angry and irrational (or moody). And instead of letting coller heads prevail they keep talking (or yelling) and end up saying all those things you are never suppose to say to the person you love.

E said...

Happy 100...:-)

I'm not much for categorization (yeah right) but I can kinda see where radio guy was going with his observations. It logically makes sense that typically the pair off is one moody, the other non-moody. It comes down to like you said, how much crap is the non-moody person willing to deal with? Two moody people probably wouldn't want to deal with the other person's crap for too long because they have their own crap to deal with.

I don't know if I'd call the other party non-moody. Maybe mood-lite is more appropriate since yeah, we all have our moods.

Nice observations.

Deb said...

Run run run if you see me and my girlfriend having our "monthly" together. Fageddaboudit!!!!!!!!!!!!

But I have to say that I never looked at it that way. I have never seen us being moody at the same time. It's either me or her.

Interesting. OR it can just be the levels of estrogen flowing through our system...and in our house.

Scary, huh?

Rose said...

Congratulations on your 100th post. I have enjoyed reading your relationship posts. I think moody folks can still get together since our moods change so much maybe the differences will happen at the right time, thus providing enough fire to keep the relationship stimulating.

Belizegial said...

Moody + moody can only last just so long.

The saying that opposites attract is probably true since a moody type needs a calmer anchor to pair up with. Especially when the children come along :)

Congrats on your 100th post.

Saludos
~Enid

Edz said...

Two moodies can't be together. I just experienced it. I'm extremely moody, my mood swings easily, all over the place and I met this guy who was just perfect for me. But, I just couldn't handle him. It was too much for me and we ended up always having to argue with each other. Stressful, hard, annoying. So, I had to end it.
I'd better be with someone quiet, someone who will be my audience and listen to my yelling.

congrats on 100th post... I need time to read you more.

Leesa said...

Some moody people avoid other moody (attention-seeking) people. And congrats on your 100th post.

-----------

I saw a little girl in McDonalds over the weekend, and she was so precious. She had light brunette hair, strands were coming out of her loosely-tied ponytail, and her laugh and smile were infectious. She ran up to a slightly older boy and said, "Come play with me." It was so cute and she eventually got the boy to play with her.

Well, I want to have a little contest called "Battle of the Bloggers." I wrote about it last week, and my readers were less-than-enthusiastic about the contest. I cannot be entered myself, but I want to host a competiton that, more than anything, will expose me and others to good blogs that we don't know about to date. Please visit my blog at http://dsmoya31410.blogspot.com to see the details. So if you want to nominate a blog for this competition, please do so. I don't really care who wins; I just want to know about quality blogs. Sorry if this looks like spam. I am just trying to spread the word.

Relationship said...

thanks i got my solution.
party on tours