5.13.2006


QUESTIONING THE FUNDAMENTALS

I’ve been told that the following quote is attributed to Sir Winston Churchill:

“If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves.”

There are very few political figures I admire. In fact, I’m not really sure I admire ANY political figure. But on the same note, I still think there are some notable men and women in the world who have made contributions to humanity that cannot be ignored. I think we look up to them because they fought to defend the most important fundamentals.

When I think of how often people’s views change as they grow older, I feel that it’s probably childish to think that having incompatible views automatically makes someone a worthless hypocrite. Ultimately, you can’t judge a man by the least of his actions. Though, you can’t ignore them either.

I suppose the art of judgment is a difficult one to practice. We probably spend our entire lives learning how to efficiently judge the world for ourselves; and especially in matter of the heart, it ain’t easy.

How does this pertain to men and women’s misunderstandings of each other?

Well… In matters of the heart, it seems that people often hesitate when they can and should fight for what they want/need.

I can remember a girl I had a huge crush on when I was a teenager, but I was too nervous to ask her out. Honestly, I must have figured she wouldn’t have been interested, or maybe it was a fear of rejection. Either way, some years later, I found out that she liked me the whole time, but she thought I wasn’t the type to talk to her or be interested in her. Now, I hear she’s engaged and may be living here in Chicago. Ah well… although I can’t go on and on about her being “The One,” I never even had the chance to find out, all because I sat down, when I should have stood up.

That particular episode comes to mind because of a phone call I received from one of my best friends yesterday. We talked for a very long time. For the first time in his life, his heart was truly heavy from that all too frequently nasty four letter word: L.O.V.E.

My friend has spent most of his life deeply immersed in his culture and religion. Well, not THAT deep, but deep enough. It’s a part of him. It’s a large part. He was born here in the States, but spent some of his early years “Back Home,” and elsewhere abroad. But for the most part, his life has been here. Because of that, he often worried about losing that piece of his living culture he desperately wants to preserve.

Up until recently, he had a simple philosophy when it came to dating. He only entered into serious relationships with women he deemed culturally and religiously appropriate for him. But like I said, that was up until now. His current relationship, which began as a casual thing, has blossomed into full-blown love… and mutual love at that.

I haven’t met the girl yet, but she seems like good people. He’s already met her family and likes her father a lot. So obviously I’m happy that he is happy.

It’s something to see. We both always figured he’d marry a girl that was like one from “Back Home,” with a strong touch of Americanism. But that’s not what he found. What he found is a good woman who is nothing like the woman he imagined for himself. He broke his own cardinal rule to serious dating.

But what I find most interesting is how much he has changed. For the first time, he admitted that the whole Old School cultural protectionism thing that he was practicing might have a cost he isn’t willing to bare.

Do you give up a good woman because of cultural/religious differences? I’m not sure. These differences have varying levels of importance to everyone. If what you're compromising is one of your fundamentals, this can cause you a serious amount of trouble and heartache.

This is a tough one. I been there myself. Perhaps I need to do a post on the difficulties of deconstructing a once non-negotiable fundamental as a result of growing.

Peace and Love,

nosthegametoo

11 comments:

Åsa said...

Nosthegametoo: interesting post and I've been thinking a lot about the same stuff. Unfortunately I have a hard time excepting that people change their view on things (but I'm working on that...). And as for going for someone who is totally different than you: my experience is that it works as long as you are in love (and don't have children). It's when times are rough and hardships tear on the relationship: that's when it's EASIER to sort it all out and understand each other if you come from the same background. I am too old and bitter to believe that love concurs all, but on the other hand: true love comes along way too seldom, so tell your friend to GO FOR IT! :-)

Stephen A. Bess said...

Ah wow! I know that feeling. Great post. I have regrets about when I should've said something in the past, but didn't. I don't have that problem too much these days, but It still rears it's head at times. It's a constant battle.

As for love, it is full of surprises. You could not have told me that I would marry a woman that is older than me and from another culture. I've always imagine a goo southern woman that was about 5 yrs younger. Go figure?? The important thing is that your friend is happy. Good for him. :)

Cheetarah1980 said...

I think it really depends on the person. We all have different non negotiables. For some people matters of race/culture/religion/background are huge. They make up the very fiber of their being so those factors are definitely going to lead who they choose to be with long term.
As we grow up, we grow out of some of the things we thought we needed. Lauren Hill said it best, "Thought what I wanted was something I needed." I've been guilty of that more times than I can count.

Waddie G. said...

I agree with your stance that there are only a few political figures to admire...

Jodi said...

Doesn't it always happen that way? I found by accident who I know I will be with for the rest of my life (and this is after already being married once already...) and he is exactly the opposite of what I thought I was looking for. Crazy world. Nice blog(s). Thanks for the comments on mine. ~Jodi

Deb said...

I guess it’s different for each individual. I mean, ‘for me’, I have to be comfortable that my partner shares the same religious views or somewhat similar to mine. I can’t see myself with someone who is not spiritual in some aspect—but I do respect other people’s views if they are not spewing hatred along with it.

People are different, and even if you go for someone with a particular religion or culture in mind---there are so many sectors and varieties of that one particular religion or culture, that it’s difficult to pin-point ‘the one’ just by that.

Great thought provoking post! Loved this!

Blah Blah Blah said...

...brings up an interesting question...
rules to dating?

Sumeeta said...

My gosh, this was an incredibly insightful post. Dating has always been incredibly difficult for me for two reasons. First, I think that I have never been comfortable enough in my own skin to be comfortable enough with someone else. Second, because I am biracial, there was always an expectation that I would only date an Indian man or that I would only date a doctor. This was not true. At this point in my life, I think if I can find someone, then I am a lucky person.

Rose said...

There are some political folks I admire but not too many. So many folks are corrupt and all about themselves. Sometimes love is the same way. Folks love you until they find someone else, the thrill is gone..

Prata said...

Compromising your fundamental values for another person is a mistake. It is the flaw that will lead to bitterness later on as you become more empty and more aware of the void that you created yourself for a fickle emotion.

I can't see ever giving up core fundamental traits of myself for someone else. I have however, traded extreme likes for the sake of other people before; I'm not sure I could necessarily marry someone that is outside my scope of ideal though.

nosthegametoo said...

@ Åsa :

I tend to agree that people have trouble changing their views. In fact, I don’t think that people change all that much. But, there do come times when people grow, and that may entail growing out of certain views and practices.

I don’t believe love concurs all. But love is one of those pleasant things in life.

I’ve chosen not to actually give him advice, but he’ll always have my support in whatever his choice may be.

@ Tigerkiss:

Thank you Tigerkiss. This definitely had me thinking.

@ Stephen Bess:

I suppose that above all, my faith tells me that God created men and women, and people created culture. In God’s world, any man can love any woman, as any woman can love any man. But I guess we must also live in a world of people, as well as the world of God.

Then again, it’s sometime nice to see that people love as people, and not only members of the same club.

@ Cheetarah1980:

First, I love the name. Reminds me of Thundercats. I loved that show.

These days, I keep the qualities of the “type” of woman I date to a bare minimum. I only seek out fundamentals. We all have silly idiosyncrasies and weird little things that irritate or possibly attract others. I have little use for alluring traits these days, when I seriously date, I’m only interested in serious substance.

Maybe that’s why I’m always single.

@ ProfessorGQ:

To me, I try to take what’s important and leave the rest. So many of the so-called great individuals of history had some horrible qualities. Some were even down right evil.

@ Jodi:

I’m not sure it always happens that way, but it has happened to me before. My first love couldn’t have been more different. But for the time we were together, we shared more than our differences.

Fortunately, I now understand which differences are important for me, and which ones are superficial and workable, for the most part.

@ ~Deb:

You’re right about fundamentals being tailored for the individual. These things vary. So it’s a challenge to find which we need to create a stable life.

And I agree with you, someone who had spiritual beliefs that were too far from, at very least, the core of my own couldn’t have a stable life with me. But knowing that, I present that up front… along with a number of other things.

@ blah blah blah:

I’m not sure about rules in the abstract, but boundaries are important.

@ Sumeeta:

I can completely identify with your difficulties in dating. If I were to write about why I’ve have these difficulties, I would be on the computer for weeks.

I would say to you that finding someone isn’t difficult; it’s finding someone that can help build a lifetime of stability and reliability. I don’t do the whole “exciting” and “challenging” stuff when it comes to relationships. I have plenty of excitement and challenges in my life, I need peace at home.

@ Rose:

Love is terribly corrupting at times. Hearts are too fickle. And opportunists are all around us. It’s a bumpy road.

@ prata:

Welcome back, my friend.

And yeah, I not so sure I would compromise a fundamental. I think you’re hurting each other by doing that.